Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Revamp

I've been M.I.A. for quite some time now, for a lot of reasons.

I suppose the main ones are the collapse of Truth Strike (a forum that was dedicated to explaining how to trigger the phenomenological recognition of the absence of a self), distractibility (I lost motivation for whatever reason), and schoolwork (which I'll go into on this post).

I have no qualms with the philosophical approach to no-self, and think it's by far the best way to gain a deep and personal recognition of what it means about our daily lives. That said, this world doesn't take philosophy nearly as seriously as science, so science is the way I'm going.

I'm currently working towards graduating college with a major in psychology and cognitive science, and will use this blog to start preparing for my graduate research, which I definitely plan to base around this whole no-self thing. Starting now I plan to explore, compile, and comment on the various research in this area, and see how far that takes me.


I'm currently reading The Self Illusion: How the Social Brain Creates Identity by psychologist Bruce Hood. So far it's decent, though it feels more like an intro to psychology book than a book on the self. That said, he does give some of the most accurate definitions of a self-image that I've ever read. I'm curious to see how (if) he relates all the experiments he discusses.



Before that, I read Into the Silent Land by neuropsychologist Paul Broks. This is, by far, the most incredible science book I've ever read. Broks is an amazing writer who comes across as deeply passionate about neuropsychology, and is just an overall fascinating guy. He's fascinated about the absence of a self and hits on it from many many angles (excluding therapeutic, but I've yet to find any scientist who's explored that).

I'll give a more thorough review of these two once I (re)read them. In addiction, I'll be scavenging psych databases to see what studies I can dig up. This shall be fun, I'm curious what'll turn up.

1 comment:

  1. I read Bruce Hood's book. It's very good. I have never heard of the other. As a former Masters student of Neuropsychology I must pick it up!

    ReplyDelete